ANOTHER LOCAL RECIPE FROM AMY!!!
6 stripes of bacon, cooked and cut into pieces |||| 5 large potatoes, diced |||| 2 large white onions, chopped |||| 2 garlic cloves, minced |||| 1 cup sour cream |||| 1 carrot, chopped |||| 1 stalk celery, diced |||| 6 cups of water
1. Fry bacon in the bottom of a large pot. Add garlic, onion, carrot, and celery. Let it fry until everything is looking toasty. Then throw in a slab of butter (I like extra flavor!)
2. Take off heat and add in water. Toss in the potatoes and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and let cook for a good 20 minutes until potatoes are soft. At this point add in salt, pepper or herbs you have available. I threw in lovage, which has a celery taste and adds a nice green.
3. After twenty minutes, take a ladle of the broth and put it int oa bowl on the side. Add the sour cream to the broth and mix well. Then add the sour cream mixture back into the big pot of soup. Mix thoroughly. Once the soup has a nice white broth, it is ready to eat!
This recipe is simple, fast, and again, I am only using ingredient available to me right now in upstate New York. If you have access to salt, pepper and any other herbs to throw in, I would go for it! Most ingredients were either bought from the co-op or from the regional farmer’s market where you can get great prices on quality products!
2 1/2 cups of green split peas |||| 1 medium sized onion, chopped |||| 1 teaspoon garlic, minced |||| 1 teaspoon curry powder |||| 1 teaspoon salt |||| 2 tablespoons soy sauce |||| 8 cups water |||| 1 large potato, diced |||| 3 stalks of celery, chopped |||| 2 large carrots, chopped
1. Saute onion, garlic, curry powder and salt in a skillet until onions are tender.
2. In a large pot combine sauted mixture with water, peas, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
3. Add potato, celery, and carrots and cook for 30 more minutes.
Click here for more . . .
Filed under soup, vegetarian
3 tablespoons olive oil |||| 1/4 of a large white onion, finely chopped |||| 1/2 cup chopped celery |||| 1/2 of a large green pepper, seeds and membrane removed, finely chopped |||| 1 cup diced pared raw potatoes |||| 2 cups water |||| 1/2 teaspoon paprika |||| 1/2 of a bay leaf |||| 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes |||| 3 tablespoons flour |||| 2 cups of milk |||| 1 can creamed corn |||| 2 cups whole kernel corn |||| salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute onion, celery and green pepper in olive oil.
2. When vegetables are golden brown add potatoes, water, spices and simmer until tender (about 45 minutes.)
3. After the potatoes are tender, bring the mixture to the boiling point, and then add the flour, 1/2 cup of milk and creamed corn.
4. Let it summer for 5 minutes then add the additional 1 1/2 cups of milk and the whole kernel corn. Heat thoroughly, but do not let the soup boil.
For my tips and recipe reviews click here . . .
Filed under soup, vegetarian